Week Six: Heroic Journey

JRR Tolkien’s The Hobbit is a story I really love. While growing up, I watched The Lord of the Rings movies. That was my only experience with the stories until we read The Hobbit in my rhetoric class in junior year of high school. I do not read well aloud and I quite hated that class. But, despite having to stand up in front of the whole class and read with conviction while the teacher recorded me, which is not my cup of tea, I found myself really in love with the story. It’s the classic hero’s journey.

This story arc is one that is used a lot, but it’s one that we as humans relate to and find inspiring, which is why you see it so often. We are fallible and imperfect humans longing to be something bigger than we are. This is something I think that college students relate to the most. College students, especial at Ringling, strive to be something. They are looking for their heroic journey to begin or have an epic ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Three: Old Horror

Week Ten: The Fiction of Ideas

Week Two: Vampires