Week Seven: The Novel of Spiritual Education

This week I read A Wrinkle in Time. I watched the first Disney adaption once when I was very young and have little memory of it. The new adaption is coming out this summer and it has caused a resurgence of interest in the book. Since I have been wanting to read the book, when I saw it on the list I took this opportunity. I do not regret it!

I love this story. To be honest, I did not know what to expect. My brain was filled with flashes of images from my childhood of the original adaption and from the trailer for the new adaptation. They seemed to be completely different. I was going in, not blind, but for better or worse, confused. The story took me by surprise! First of all, I did not know the story was written so long ago. That was a big surprise. The story really has held up over the years. The second surprise was at how spiritual the story was. It was riddled with allegories and metaphors for the Christian faith. The story was almost like a more modern version of Pilgrim’s Progress - you have the young lost character, they are taken on a journey, they meet of bunch of fantasy creatures and are put in otherworldly situations that represent and illustrate an aspect of the Christian faith. While being a classic hero’s journey tail, A Wrinkle In Time has stood the test of time and I believe it is due to the stories relatability to our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Three: Old Horror

Week Ten: The Fiction of Ideas

Week Two: Vampires