Week Two: Vampires

For this week’s reading, I decided to read Twilight. I was a huge fan of the movies when I was in middle and high school, but it has been a long time since I read the first book of the saga. It was interesting returning to a book after so many years. I had to have been in 7th grade the last time I read this particular book. It was not my favorite of the series, so I only read it the once.

              Reading Twilight as a kid and an adult is a completely different experience. As a kid, like I said, I was a huge fan. I accepted it all, holding onto every word, like Bella’s love life was as important as the book made it out to be. Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge sentimentalist and still adore these movies, although now acknowledging and even sharing the opinions of the critics. But, when reading the book last week, I was able, as an adult, to really separate myself from the book and try to analyze it for what it is really saying.

              Twilight, at face value, is a modern novel that is purposefully showing these horror icons, vampires, in a different and better light, even turning these staples of horror classics into romantic figures. While this movie is trying to be different and is categorized as a romance horror, it holds the same underlying story themes as the classic Gothic horror:
1. Setting in a castle or old mansion.
2. An atmosphere of mystery and suspense.
3. An ancient prophecy.
4. Omens, portents, visions.
5. Supernatural or otherwise inexplicable events.
6. High, even overwrought emotion.
7. Women in distress.
8. Women threatened by a powerful, impulsive, tyrannical male.
9. The metonymy of gloom and horror.

These nine things are found in every gothic horror novel. Can you not find these elements to be the backbone of this teen romance novel? I don’t know If the author, Stephanie Meyer, meant for this or it just happened. Never the less, this teen romance may have more in common with Frankenstein than with any romance of our time.

Comments

  1. I think it's really interesting how you did connect Twilight back to Gothic themes. I think that people often disregard everything about the films/ books because of the issues that they do have. It's also cool getting to read your reaction to it now in comparison to when you were younger. It's not an experience I would personally choose to repeat so I'll just experience it through your post. Do you think you were more neutral on how you looked at the film because you did enjoy it when you were younger?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week Three: Old Horror

Week Ten: The Fiction of Ideas